Sunday, June 3, 2012
Masterchef Australia - Episode 8 - First time in the Masterchef Kitchen, First Mystery Box
I have to say I did not like the Mystery Box, it was a mirror and the idea is put yourself on a plate. I do not like the very wide open challenges, it is both not a challenge but also very, very hard to do.
So what would I do if had to put myself on a plate? I think I would go back to the food that makes up where I come from. I would have to do a lot of Baltic food. What comes to mind is making Zakuska, the Baltic German word of what the Russians call Zakuski, a serious of small bites to have when you are shooting back the vodka.
1) Speckkuchen - small yeast dough filled perogies. I would fill some with the traditional bacon, onions and currants, some would be salmon, red onions and dill, and finally bacon, dried cranberries and shallots.
2) A cucumber slice pickled for 45 minutes in apple cider vinegar and then topped with finely chopped tomato and dill. A final garnish would be some of the pickled onions from a jar of pickled herring.
3) Oven roasted potato chunks. I would cut them into small wedges that are one bite. I would toss them in oil, salt and dill and then roast them.
4) Devilled eggs - I would mix the egg yolks with a garlic and cayenne aoili. The eggs would be have a few bits of caviar on top with a thinly sliced freshly pickled red onion.
5) Put the vodka in the blast chiller, if the time allows I would try to freeze the bottle into a block of ice.
I think this would be enough. With three of each on the plate, there would be 12 pieces on the plate.
I would insist they need to have ice cold vodka with it. This food is designed to be eaten with vodka, it is a pairing that makes both parts much better.
75 minutes is not long enough to do a few things I would want to do with salmon. I would love to make a gravlax, but the time to cure the salmon would take far too long.
Looking at what the others put up, I think this would enough to finish in the top. My concerns would be that I used too much dill and that the food was too simple