Friday March 26, 2010
9:15 am-2:30 pm
Victoria Native Friendship Centre
231 Regina Avenue (by Tillicum Mall)
CR-FAIR invites you to an annual food and farm networking event and celebration of Regional Food Security Champions
- 9:15-9:30 Registration ($10 includes program and lunch)
- 9:30-11:30 Workshops
- 12:00-2:30 Celebration Lunch and 2010 Awards
1. Social Media and the Web
Part A: Promotion and Education: Demystifying New Media and its ability to help us reach and engage with our audiences and each other.
Workshop leaders: Katie Shaw, YouthCore, Fiona Devereaux Feasting For Change and Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities Indigenous Foods Network, Christopher Bower, Videographer .
Part B: Farm and Food Business Promotion and Web Based Management Tools: Workshop leaders will look at how websites, Blogs, Twitter, and Facebook, are helping them reach their audiences and how web based tools such as a portal for e-commerce is enhancing their business.
Workshop leader Susan Tychie: Share Organics, Farmer, TBA.
2. Cooking Together: the Re-invention of Community Kitchens: Together let's explore the current Community Kitchen landscape in Greater Victoria. Community Kitchen leaders and participants will share their experiences and inspire you to start a kitchen in your community.
Workshop leader: Tracy Horner-Cullen, Vancouver Island Health Authority
3. Emerging Local Research on Food and Agriculture Issues: Come and hear about important community based research that is not only informing our work but making change in the process:
· Pat Reichert, Salt Spring Island, Researching local food production quantities and greenhouse gas impacts.
· Peter Papagiannis LifeCycles, Food Organizations and Projects Sustainability Survey
· Teron Moore, Royal Roads, Improving Food Access Through Collaborative Food Distribution
· Paula Hesje, Community Council, Farm Viability, Focus on Issues and Potentials Farm Worker Housing in Central Saanich
12:00-2:30 Celebration Lunch and 2010 Awards
Welcome and Networking — Learn who’s who in the food and farm sector
Keynote address: Dr. Gilbert Wilkes (Holder of the Ralph Klein Chair in Media Studies at Mount Royal University, Calgary and Assistant Professor at Royal Roads) will focus on Demystifying New Media: how media can help us reach and engage our audiences and each other.
Over lunch we will Celebrate our 2010 Food Security Champions with the presentation of our annual awards.
We will wrap up with a game of “Food Jeopardy!” that will test our knowledge of current issues and trends in the Capital Region.
Videographer on site! During the day make a short clip about your project, issue, story, or business to link to your site, download, email and /or distribute to your audience! See Christopher at Registration to sign up for your timeslot!
$10 will cover your lunch and workshop fees. Lunch will be catered by Kitchens of Distinction and the Victoria Native Friendship Centre. (Victoria Native Friendship Centre members will receive a complimentary registration).
***Please note that there is no parking in the VNFC parking lot and you must find parking on the street nearby. We encourage you to take the bus or carpool!
PLEASE RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org There is limited seating in the workshops so please make sure to register early.
Questions? Email above or tel. (250) 383-6166
Lunch, travel, or childcare subsidies are available by request.