Thursday, September 15, 2011

Zucchini Madness

So finally the freaking zucchini plants are taking off!  Now comes the age old question, what do I do with them all?

We have eaten in stews, we have grilled them, we have made them into noodles, we have eaten them raw (well Stephen has, not me).   Where to now?

I could go out and give them away anonymously - drop on your drop step in the middle of the night.   Sort of a drive by zucchining.

To the more serious take on all this, how can I store or preserve them for the winter?   For a few years now I have been trying to come up with ways to preserve the excess zucchini but I am not having much luck in that.  

I have shredded and frozen them with the intent of using the zucchini in the winter in zucchini bread, but ultimately it just sits there at the bottom of the freezer aging long enough that I end up throwing it out.  I have tried drying them, but the resulting chip is bland dry and does not seem to re-hydrate well.

I have tried looking online but very little has come out of that other than what I have already done.   Pickles do come up, but I am not a pickle person and zucchini pickles really do not appeal to me.

Ideas?

2 comments:

Cassandra @foodmyfriend said...

Char grill and store in good quality oil in an airtight container in the fridge! Great on sandwiches and in fresh pasta!

Empress Jade Vintage said...

I was in the same boat this year. Once the plants finally caught up they produced zucchini like crazy. I've been making chocolate zucchini cake and freezing it. I also was unthrilled about the idea of zuc pickles but this year I made the zucchini relish in the Bernardin canning book and it's quite good.