Monday, June 23, 2008

Invasion of the class of 2018

I offered to the my son Stephen's teacher the chance to come and see the chickens. So today we have 20 kids from Mrs Favell's grade two class from Tillicum Elementary come and see the chickens.

It went quite well. The kids enjoyed holding the chickens, petting them, feeding them and seeing where eggs come from. Mrs Burleigh the principle as came along and took some pics.

I plan of telling them that the chickens are available for other classes to come and see.

This fits into my plan to have people understand that you can produce your own food. I think it is really important for kids to see this because we are getting further and further removed from our agricultural roots.

Before world war two, most people in Canada were still connected to a farm is some way. For my generation a lot of us had parents that grew up on the farm. For my childern, this means their grandparents generation where the ones on the land. The connection is getting further and further away.

Children seem alienated from where their food comes from and how the natural world works. What I find most interesting is that is seems to be the youth that are better educated that are most disconnected.

We have surplus of eggs at the moment, I am going to have to figure out what I should make with them. Maybe Stephen can make some cupcakes for school tomorrow?

No comments: