Monday, September 1, 2008

Eggs for August

While they might lay another two eggs today, I thought I would post what they had managed to lay this month - 14 dozen eggs. At a market value of $3.50 per dozen, this is a $42 value. Input costs this month were $15 - feed and seashell supplement.

In total since May we are around 30 dozen eggs. Break even will come at about 85 dozen eggs which will be sometime next spring.

At the Saanich Fall Fair, where I was volunteering yesterday for part of the day, my son Ben saw all sorts of different chickens being shown. He now wants to show our chickens, but we need to figure out what breed they are. He is also intereted in getting some other interesting varieties of chickens to add to the flock.

In the next few weeks I am going to do a big of coop reconstruction, I am not happy with some of what I have and I know I need to have more shelter from the wet and rain for the winter.

No comments: