Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Brian French ALR Report for Langford

You can read the report at this link, courtesy of Inside Langford. The report is from the fall of 2007.

Highlights of the report:

  • 118 ha of ALR in 83 titles
  • Most of the ALR is used for residential purposes
  • Langford has 3 commercial agriculture operations
  • 45 ha are identified for removal from the ALR - this includes the 28 small parcels that are too small to have the ALR rules apply.

Clearly the lands in the ALR are not of much agricultural use at the moment. The problem in Langford is that the average lot size is so small as to make use of the land for any agriculture unrealistic.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Hi there - I just wandered over from the Victoria Buffet Blog. I love your blog! I live in Esquimalt too. My husband and I have some garden plots at Craigflower Manor, and love great food. We uneasily sit on the edge of Victoria's foodie community, also a bit put off by the "food security" blah blah. I just like to garden and eat fresh food! Anyway, I hope you can keep the blog going in the midst of your busy life.
A Fan

Happy said...

Hi Patricia,
Where can I rent a garden plot in Langford so I can grow my own vegetables? Thank you.
shamim01@gmail.com