Friday March 13, 2009
2:00 – 7:00 pm
Burnside Gorge Community Centre
471 Cecelia Road, Victoria
Parking available at the old Burnside Elementary School on Jutland Avenue
Registration - $15 cash or cheque only
Subsidies available upon request
RSVP by Monday March 9th to firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 250-383-6166
2:00 – 4:00pm
Simultaneous afternoon workshops (please RSVP for your choice in advance)
* Year round public markets in BC’s Capital Region
- Plans for North Saanich
- FoodRoots expansion
- Possibilities for a downtown market
* Increasing access to food for households living on low income – two models of food distribution.
Brent Palmer, Mustard Seed Food Bank
* Hooking up! Potential in community-university partnerships on food issues
Welcome - Alice Finall, Mayor of North Saanich, on behalf of the CRD Board of Directors
- Tom Henry, Metchosin farmer and author
- Cheryl Bryce, traditional foods and land stewardship
- Diane Bernard, The Seaweed Lady
- Getting to know you - speed dating for Foodies and Friends - Bring your business cards!
- Highlights of regional food security happenings – Thanks for submitting your photos!
- Pot luck supper – We’ll provide the soup and salad; your favourite local dish adds to the flavour and fun
- 2009 Food Security Champions Awards – presentations by Lana Popham. Remember to submit your nominations by March 5th
- A dish to share (optional), and
- Some business cards
Funding support provided through:
Financial support for this project provided by Vancouver Island Health Authority's "Community Food Action Initiative" through ActNow BC - the government of BC's investment in promoting healthy choices through a partnership-based, community-focused approach to improve nutrition, increase physical activity and reduce tobacco use.